Nope- not of Star Trek!
I am going to play the prophet on this post. Here are my predictions for the issues our next generation of church leaders will have to deal with:
- Hate crime legislation- One day in the not-so-distant future it could actually be considered criminal just to read or quote texts like Romans 1:26-27.
- Transgender church members- What will you say when brother Sam shows up one Sunday as sister Samantha? Guess what? It is already happening.
- Cloning- How would you counsel someone from Scripture who is considering cloning themselves? We’d better get ready.
- Pandemics- What if one really occurs? Among other things- it could devastate the structure of local churches. (FYI- Gateway has recently installed hand cleaner dispensers all throughout our facilities.)
- Virtual church- Instead of a contemporary and traditional service- there will be a virtual service, where everyone stays home, sips coffee in their PJs and worships together via streaming online. They would fellowship through tweets and contribute through bank drafts. (Could be the answer to the pandemic problem.)
- Loss of tax advantages- What might happen if churches lost their tax exempt status or contributions were no longer fully deductable? Less money perhaps? What would that do to ministries, missionaries, etc.?
Okay- what do you think? Are these really the issues for the next generation? Any to add?