I will be the first to admit, that yes I can! I am an older dad with two young daughters (12 and 9) who are both strong-willed and quick to share opinions. Occasionally this all comes together in a perfect storm–if you get my drift! And I confess to not always handling those storms in the right way. So certainly I can always use some more information on how to parent better.
This is what the Central Arkansas Parenting Conference held at the Levy Church of Christ in North Little Rock, Arkansas on January 23-24 is all about–sharing information to encourage better parenting. My wife and my go-to people when we need parenting advice are Christian counselors, Dr. Alan and Sherry Pogue. Fortunately for me, Alan is a shepherd at my church and both he and Sherry have helped us on numerous occasions with solid counsel and wisdom from their experience and education. They are keynoting this conference and will bring that wisdom and experience with them. If it were just them alone this would be a must-attend event, but there is much more.
Over the weekend several presenters will lead break-out sessions covering a wide range of parenting topics. Among some of the topics covered:
- Blended families
- Parenting daughters, sons, preschoolers, middle schoolers and teens
- Adjusting to becoming an empty nester
- How to effectively discipline
- Balancing busy schedules
- Fostering and/or adopting
- Being a new parent
- Children and technology
- Public, private and home schooling
- Living with ADD/ADHD children
- Helping children develop a positive self-esteem
- Teaching kids about money
- Building faith in children at home
- Dealing with children in a grow-up-too-fast culture
- Teaching kids about mission work
If you are anywhere near Central Arkansas, I urge you to strongly consider attending this special weekend event. You can look over the entire schedule and register at capc.eventbrite.com or you can register at a congregation of the churches of Christ in the Little Rock/North Little Rock area.